New Jersey Burn Accident Lawyer
The pain of a burn injury lasts long after the agonizing incident is over. A common personal injury accident– burn injuries can happen as a result of an unsafe product, on a construction site or even while visiting a private home of a friend. As New Jersey burn accident lawyers, we are here to get you paid for your injuries and the impact the burn has on your life going forward. Sarofiem & Antoun LLC is a New Jersey personal injury law firm dedicated to serving our clients with compassion—we know how difficult the time following a burn accident can be and we make ourselves fully available throughout the course of your case to answer questions, give updates and provide resources to you and your family. Find out why we are the client-centric law firm you want handling your case by scheduling your free consultation today.
Common Causes of Burn Accidents
Whether it is a first, second, or third degree burn, some of the most common causes of burn accidents include:
- Defective products: When certain flammable products don’t work the way they are supposed to or have improper warnings, fires and burns can ensue. For instance, faulty wiring in a kids toy can cause a spark that then leads to a fire-causing burn. Or a gas can that has a defective cap can cause serious burns when a fire ignites. Manufacturer negligence is a huge contributor to burns and other injuries every year.
- Liquid burns: most common when there has been a failure to warn of the extreme temperature of a liquid or steam, individuals can experience second or third degree burns as a result of a scalding hot liquid.
- Car and truck accidents: whenever there’s a car accident, there’s always a chance for an explosion that leads to a fire and subsequent injuries. These are usually thermal burns and can leave a lasting scar on the victim as well as major emotional damage.
- Chemical burns: When a strong acid comes into contact with the skin, it can cause a chemical burn. Everything from toilet cleaner to car battery fluid contains chemicals that can lead to severe chemical burns on the skin of victims.
- Inhalation burns: When there is a fire in which individuals spend any amount of time in (i.e. a building fire), not only will their skin get burned to some degree, but their lungs and other internal organs will also suffer a type of inhalation burn.
How Much is Your Burn Injury Worth?
A burn is usually just one of many injuries individuals suffer in their personal injury accident. In addition to the medical treatment for a burn, victims are also entitled to financial compensation for the lasting impact a burn will have on their life when there is any amount of scarring or disfigurement. Additionally, many burn victims have to be closely monitored during their initial healing process since infection rate is extremely high. Unfortunately, many burn victims are children and elderly which take much longer to heal, require more rehabilitation and end up with lasting scars from the encounter—all the these factors go into adding to the value of a burn case.
Here are some of the factors that go into the valuation of a burn injury case:
- Hospitalization and other medical bills
- Future medical needs and surgeries (including plastic surgery)
- Treatments stemming from other injuries related to the accident
- Missed work and disability
- Inability to work
- Psychological and emotional harm (i.e. PTSD)
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement and scarring
New Jersey is a comparative negligence state when it comes to the evaluation of liability for personal injury accidents. What this means is that even if you played a role in your accident and burn injuries, you can still hold the other party financially responsible for their role in the accident. While the other side might work hard to downplay their role and place more responsibility on you, we will work even harder to make sure that doesn’t happen and present the strongest case possible for you.
New Jersey Burn Accident Legal Help
If your burn injuries were not entirely your fault, then you likely have a strong personal injury case worth pursuing. Burn scars and emotional issues can last a lifetime and you should not be the one footing the bill for them. Hiring us costs you nothing until we win your case. The lawyers at Sarofiem & Antoun LLC are available 24/7 via phone or text to help. We are ready to get started when you are—get in touch with us at (201) 792-3333 today. We would love to help you!